Easter or rather pre Easter is a time I roam the shops with an extreme weakness for anything cute and chocolate. Home looks so decorative for Easter and then suddenly reality hits. There is simply far too much chocolate for any mere mortal to realistically consume before expiry date…
Please would one of my dear readers confess to being a little bit similar… just to make me feel better!
In any case, here is the solution. A brilliant recipe which uses any chocolate you desire and can be stored in the freezer. So plenty of time to eat all that lovely Easter chocolate after all!!!
Keep reading for the best ever leftover Chocolate Recipe – Chocolate Semifredo with Salted Caramel
Best Ever Leftover Chocolate Recipe – Chocolate Semifredo with Salted Caramel
Line a 24-25cm x 8cm loaf tin with baking paper. Place the biscuit crumbs along the bottom of the tin – set aside.
- 85g bought chocolate biscuits crushed (I like to use some sort of whole grain biscuit), mixed with a little melted butter to combine,
- 350g leftover chocolate from Easter,
- 1/4 cup cocoa,
- 3 eggs, 2 additional egg yolks,
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract,
- 3/4 cup fine sugar,
- 1 & 3/4 cups single cream,
- 1/2 tsp salt flakes
Ingredients Caramel Sauce:
- 1 cup single cream,
- 60g butter,
- 1 cup fine brown sugar
- Place the chocolate and cocoa in a heatproof bowl over saucepan of simmering water and stir until smooth (alternatively put in microwave at 600 for 1 min take out, store and then put in again for 1 min – should be melted by this stage – be careful not to overheat!) – set aside.
- Place the eggs and extra yolks, vanilla and sugar in heatproof bowl over saucepan of simmering water and using an electric beater beat for approximately 8 minutes – mixture must be thick and pale at end. Add the salt. Gently fold this through the chocolate mixture and set aside.
- Whip cream and then gently fold through the egg/chocolate mixture until well combined. Pour into prepared tin. Cover with foil and pop into freezer until at least firm – preferably the nite before using.
- Place cream, butter and sugar in saucepan over low heat and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Increase heat a little and bring to boil – cook for further 5 minutes until thickened stirring the whole time.
- Allow to cool and drizzle over slices of semi fredo, sprinkle salt flakes on top as the final touch – YUM!
Serves at least 8 people.
Recipe inspired by Donna Hay – she uses dark chocolate instead of leftover Easter chocolate but personally I love the fact that I have found good use of leftover chocolate.
Do any of you have favourite recipes for your leftover Easter chocolate? Please feel free to share them in the comments section below!
Sign up for the FunkyForty newsletter for regular Fashion and Lifestyle updates!
Please don’t forget to click on the heart at the end of this post if you liked it – anyone can do it – you don’t have to register at all.
The comment section is at the end of the post, I love reading all your comments and am open to any more cake recipe suggestions!
19 Persons think this post is funky