Hope you are enjoying the Advent season. Visiting lovely Christmas markets has got to have become one of my all time favourite past times since moving to Europe. However, of all the Christmas Markets I’ve ever visited none has taken my breath away quite as much as the beautiful one in Salzburg – a real must visit!
You may have read my previous post about Salzburg – so just in case this inspired you to visit Salzburg soon here are 7 fabulous surprises awaiting you at the most beautiful Christmas Market.
7 Salzburg Christmas Market Surprises
- Choir Music – each day at 17:00 hours from the stairs of the Dome, adding even more magic to the Christmas atmosphere.
- Salzburger Christkindl-Pass – It certainly pays to look into the Salzburg Card Package Advent when travelling during Advent as then you’ll also get this cute Christkindl-Pass – a little pamphlet containing a map of Salzburg and a lovely selection of free vouchers to be used throughout the Christmas market – I had so much fun with mine, finding the different stands and getting free goodies along the way.
- The “Christkind” and their angels – Yes, in Salzburg the Christkind really exists and walks across the Cathedral and Residence Square each of the 4 Saturdays before Christmas between 15:30 and 18:30 hours. Meaning of the word “Christkind“
- Famous Haunsberger Burger – a special burger that only exists during Advent time at the Salzburger Christmas Market. Tastes absolutely devine – speaking from experience. One of my dear readers also left a comment that you have to try the world famous curry sausage – next time for me!
- Christmas Market Tours – Each day at 16:00 hours from the Residenzplatz, Stand No. 95 a local guides tourists through the Christmas Markets – learn interesting facts about the past and all about local traditions. Free tastings included. Cost EUR 25 – link for bookings here
- Sound of Music feeling – take the lift up to the Fortress Hohensalzburg to enjoy a little Christmas market in the courtyard there. Find out more about events and atmospheric evening tours here.
- Schloss Hellbrunn – situated just outside of Salzburg city this magical castle famous for it’s trick fountains has it’s own magical Christmas market also featuring a petting zoo, baking classes for children and a big camp fire. More information here (program in German), or here (English)
Christmas Market Opening Times:
Nov 17 – December 26, 2016
More Information Here
Hope you enjoyed the tips and pictures do stay tuned for a separate Salzburg Shopping Tour post to come!
Sign up for the FunkyForty newsletter for regular Fashion and Lifestyle updates!
Please don’t forget to click on the heart at the end of this post if you liked it – anyone can do it – you don’t have to register at all.
The comment section is at the end of the post, I love reading all your comments and would love to read what you think of this collection!
Wishing you all a fabulous day!
12 Persons think this post is funky