Weekends being great for special deserts, lemon meringue pie is another of my favourite childhood memories. My Dad used to make a brilliant one. Sometimes I feel as though I can still taste it today…
This pie really does need to be made in 3 steps and it is important to let things cool in-between steps. Hence it is best to start making it either very early in the morning or the day before you actually want to eat it.
You could make the base the day before and the rest later. You could also cheat and simply buy a base but these don’t taste nearly as good – even if you buy the base in Switzerland!
Keep reading for the FunkyForty Lemon Meringue Pie recipe.
FunkyForty Lemon Meringue Pie
The recipe is for a 24cm round pie or quiche dish.
- 200g flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 125g butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp cream
- Place the dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix together.
- With slightly damp hands rub the butter into the dry mixture until the whole mixture resembles a bowl of fine crumbs.
- Add the beaten egg and cream and combine to form a dough.
- Place dough in a plastic bag and leave in the fridge for a couple of hours.
- Take out of the fridge and roll dough out to a very thin circle on a piece of plastic.
- Then use the plastic to carefully pop over your pie dish and line the dish, making sure the dough slightly overlaps the sides.
- Using a rolling pin over the top of the dish to roll away any excess and create a lovely dough lined pie dish.
- Using a fork make holes in the base.
- Place a sheet of baking paper on top of the base and add rice to weigh down.
- Put in fridge for another hour to cool again.
Preheat oven to 220°C
Place pie on bottom tray in oven and bake with paper and rice (also known as blind baking), for 15 minutes. Then remove the paper and rice and bake for another 10 minutes.
- 2.5 dl water
- 1 pinch of salt
- 30g butter
Place all the above ingredients in a pan and bring to the boil.
- 0.5 dl water
- 3 tbsp cornflour
Stir together to form a smooth paste
- 2 egg yolks (save the whites for the topping)
- 130g sugar
Add to the water and cornflour mixture, then stirring continuously add to the simmering water, butter mixture above. Bring quickly to the boil, then take the mixture off the heat.
- 2 – 3 lemons (rind only)
- 1 dl pressed lemon juice
Add to the mixture above, stir in well. Then pour into the prepared base and leave to cool.
preheat oven to 150° C
- 3 large egg whites
- 125 g caster sugar
Beat egg whites until stiff, then slowly add the sugar and continue mixing until the meringue mixture is stiff. It should be glossy and stand up in peaks.
Spread over the cooled filling, being careful to spread right out to the very edge of the pie.
Bake in the centre of the oven for 40 minutes – until the top has dried and coloured slightly to a honey beige.
Cool for at least another hour before serving.
Enjoy your FunkyForty Lemon Meringue Pie!
Sign up for the FunkyForty newsletter for regular Fashion and Lifestyle updates!
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Please don’t forget to click on the heart at the end of this post if you liked it – anyone can do it – you don’t have to register at all.
The comment section is at the end of the post, I love reading all your comments and am open to any more cake recipe suggestions!
21 Persons think this post is funky