Once as I was at my Mum’s a friend of mine called to say she was coming round. Super excited to seen her again but there was nothing to eat in the house! Not even the smallest cookie or piece of chocolate in sight. My Mum felt dreadful and went to make herself ready. Half an hour later she couldn’t believe her eyes as she came into the kitchen and saw the cake I had baked all prepared for morning tea! All thanks to this wonderful 8 minute cake recipe.
Now I’m sharing the recipe with you, you’ll no longer have an excuse for not serving up cake for morning tea!
The 8 Minute Cake
Preheat oven to fan bake 200°C and place the tray on the lowest level.
Line the base of 25 * 30 cm swiss roll pan with baking paper.
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 3/4 cups flour
- 1 + 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tablespoon hot milk
- a little extra sugar for after baking
- 1/2 cup jam (warmed)
- Separate the eggs and then beat the egg whites until very stiff.
- Add sugar a little at a time, continuously beating as you do so.
- Add egg yolks one at a time, beating until the mixture becomes pale and thick.
- Pour hot milk down the side of the bowl. Add well sifted flour plus baking powder and working quickly use a plastic spatular to fold flour and milk carefully through the egg mixture.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan carefully spreading mixture evenly into corners.
- Bake cake for about 8 minutes or until top of cake feels soft and springy when touched.
- Whilst baking prepare another sheet of baking paper and spread a fine layer of sugar evenly over it. Then heat the jam for 1 minute in microwave.
- When cooked immediately turn cake upside down onto prepared baking paper with sugar on it.
- Carefully remove the tin lining paper. Then using a bread knife cut away the crisp edges from all sides of the cake.
- Using hands carefully roll cake loosely from one of the short sides and then unroll. Spread evenly with warmed jam.
- Roll cake again from same short side, by lifting paper and using it to guide the roll into shape.
- Either serve immediately or place on a wire rack to cool. Also tastes delish when served wit whipped cream!
Have fun baking!
Sign up for the FunkyForty newsletter for regular Fashion and Lifestyle updates!
Please don’t forget to click on the heart at the end of this post if you liked it – anyone can do it – you don’t have to register at all.
The comment section is at the end of the post, I love reading all your comments and would love to read what you think of this collection!
21 Persons think this post is funky