Hamburg has got to be one of my most favourite cities – probably helped somewhat by the fact that my Mum was born there. The cities history is as fascinating as it gets and its recent architectural developments an absolute must to see (my opinion).
1) The “Tanzende Turme” (Dancing Towers), built in 2012 and designed by the architects BRT – Bothe, Richter, Teherani. Situated along the eastern entrance to the Repperbahn. Make a point to see how they appear to be dancing as you walk or drive past – they can also be spotted whilst doing a Hafenrundfahrt. Have dinner in Clouds, Hamburgs highest restaurant in the towers!
2) Hafencity – built along the Elbe and still under construction, scheduled to be completed between 2020 and 2030.
3) Hamburg Dungeons – I really did not want to go but my family forced me and I subsequently have to admit to it being great fun 😉
4) Jungfernstieg – the beautiful shopping promenade with a view of the Alster. Alsterhaus and streets around, perfect for a spot of retail therapy. There is a lovely cafe in the Alsterhaus itself, alternatively there are plenty of outdoor cafes both along and just off the Jungfernstieg.
4) Karoviertel – now fondly called the calorien quarter due to the amount of lovely cafes and restaurants nestled in it’s streets. This is one of Hamburg’s most trendy quarters where you will find some fab local designers. If you are close to the Fernsehturm you are in the right spot.
5) Herbertstr is probably worth walking through just to see whether you are true “man or mouse”. I will admit to turning round after having the first drink thrown at me but any real Hamburger (my Mother included), won’t let themselves be thrown out and will starchily walk through.
6) Feldstr – another trendy shopping cafe district. Make sure you walk down Marktstr for best shopping.
7) Planten un Blomen – the city park which was used as a dump for all of the broken building degree just after the war and has now been turned into most pretty park.
9) Hotel Side – Hamburgs only 5 Star design hotel
Have fun and do visit Hamburg!
Yvonne x4 Persons think this post is funky